Posted to alt.electronics,comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
john jardine john jardine is offline

Default PCB UV Box - Follow Up

"Aly" wrote in message
Hello,

First off, thank you to every one of you for answering the other thread.
It's given me plenty to research and perhaps over analyse.

I think I'm going to go for the ready kit put together by Rapid, this is
written up below. But before I do that I'm left wondering something..
Where I have my nails done they use one of the little UV boxes. They're
here on eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180104409706

Now what I'm wondering is. Would one of those do the job? Or more to the
point, would it be cost effective to strip one down and use the parts.
Thereafter ALL you need is an enclosure and some perspex. Also today

it's
become clear regarding 4mm glass that suppliers either only stock
UV-blocking glass, or don't even know at all. No one knows what they're
selling anymore or even cares!! This is the UK, it's a dump full of under
achievers and everyone has a degree in Travel & Tourism or Marketing,
everyone else is on state benefits.

So.. The nail box up above? :-)

Warm thanks,

Alison

There's nothing special about these light box things. Don't allow
distraction by talk of weird and wonderful exotic materials.
The nail hardener thing (also insect killers, currency detectors et al)
wouldn't be worth the effort to break down and the UV tubes will be be quite
weak. It's quite painful to look at the bare blue light of a real UV box.
Built a box 7 tears ago for small 'one off PCBs'. Works well. Vital key is
those UV tubes which Maplin offers at £16 for 2.
Mine uses 4 Maplin UV tubes just clipped into 2 of those cheap 12V dc,
camping florry lights thingies. Stuck in a MDF box lined with cooking foil,
with a normal glass window and a 12V power supply.
High density black lines, printed on matt film and 7 minutes exposure gives
lines as fine as I can deal with. (ie those thin buggers that end up going
in between the 0.1" IC pads).