Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com is offline

Default Home Standby Generator Advice

On Apr 7, 8:44 pm, "boatdrinks" wrote:
I have read a number of the previous posts, but I still have some
questions.

Based on my understanding of my likely power needs, I will likely need
a 12-16kW generator. I live in South Florida, so I will need to run at
least one central AC and because there are no natural gas lines all
appliances including cooktop and water heater are electric.I plan on
installing a 500 gallon underground LP tank to run whatever I get.

1) Which one should I get?
There are three standby generators that I am looking at:

Kohler 12kW
Generac Quiet Source 16kW
Briggs and Straton 15kW

Could I get some feedback on which one folks would recommend.
Reliability is most important, obviously. Second is noise and finally
efficiency.

2) During the post-Hurricane period, I have heard that LP companies
use vehicles that run on LP gas, so deliveries should not be a
problem. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Alt.energy.homepower is where you should ask, many are off grid.
3600 rpm engines wont do much more than 3000hrs, real cheap small 3600
rpm units may not even last 300 . 1800rpm units can last 12000 hours
easily. 500 galloms propane is alot of energy that should last you
awhile. You have alot of options in price-quality to research