Michael Sutton

Default Drill press question

Michael,
I grew up with the younger brother of a Mike Sutton in El Paso, Texas....
that wouldn;t be you would it?

Nope.... never been to El Paso.
I agree with Paul. More important for me are number of speeds, stroke
length, and whether or not the drill press has a quill lock. The quill lock
is hard to come by any more, but it can;t be beat for setup operations.

I didn't think much about stroke...... I'll have to keep that in
mind...

I looked at a "Golden Hawk" (cal hawk) the other day, but I'm
leary of "china-man" drill press. I found several negative
reviews of them in inetrnet newsgroups. I think I'm going to spend
the extra money and buy a better brand name such as Delta, etc.
I'd like to find one of the "old" Craftsman ones at a garage
sale. Their new ones don't seem to be as well made.

Any advange of getting a "benchtop" or a "floor" model?
I see the benchtop might take up some bench space, but
what other advantages are for the "floor" model?