Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Del Rosso Tom Del Rosso is offline

Default What sets vacuums apart?

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:%6SRh.570$Lm.420@trndny05

Build quality and marketing. You don't always get what you pay for,
some cheap vacuums are fine, a lot of them are poorly made though. If
you want a high end vacuum, look for a used one. Years ago I had a
Kirby I picked up used for $50, it was very well made and I never had
a problem with it, but it was very heavy and cumbersome, and
connecting the hose attachment to get corners was a hassle. I
eventually got rid of it and picked up a newer plastic Eureka for
free, which once I tore it down and cleaned out the clog has been a
great vacuum. It's light enough that I don't break my back lugging it
up and down stairs, the hose is already attached and just has a lever
to engage it, and it picks up dirt as well if not better than the
Kirby I had. Probably won't last 100 years but it's at least 15 years
old and still working fine. I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new
vacuum anyway, it's so easy to find them secondhand for free or
nearly so, and often they're discarded simply because they get
clogged up or need a new belt.

Thanks. I don't want to clean up a used one though. The low-end Electrolux
model EL7020A is $320 and the low-end Hoovers and Sanyos (et al) about $150.
Consumer Reports says that Electrolux model is better on carpet than any
other at any price and I have thick carpet everywhere. (That's the reason
for getting a new one anyway.)

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.