Posted to rec.woodworking
Graham Gilbert Graham Gilbert is offline

Default Beaver Model 3400 Lathe

Eureka!!!

You were right, J. A couple of strategic applications of WD 40, a couple of
hours of patience, a pipe wrench outboard and presto. (There was no stopped
hole)

Thanks to everyone for the help. I sandblasted the body yesterday, and will
prime and paint it over the next few days. Then to mount it on what used to
be the base of my workbench.and give her a whirl (no pun intended...)

I'm actually quite happy with this unit. It has an extension to the bed so I
can take up to 52 inches in length.
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 5, 8:59 pm, "J." wrote:
There should be a stopped hole just to the left of the base of the
4-spur drive center. Insert the end of a shaft or bolt in it and use it
as a lever. Apply an open end wrench to the spur center itself. The spur
center will screw off toward you.

I think they used to have a special wrench that would fit in the hole at
the shaft

I think J is probably right. A very few of the older lathes used
solid spindles and screwed on drive spurs and accessories. I saw an
old Walker Turner where this was the case, and the owner of the lathe
mistook the hollow end where the handwheel was mounted as a sign of a
totally hollow spindle shaft.

He beat the absolute hell out of that thing trying to drive out the
spur thinking it was a taper fit of some kind. Of course it never
moved. Being old iron he didn't hurt it, but he didn't get the spur
out either. He took the headstock to his buddy in the welding
profession who took it for granted that the spur screwed on because
that was the way his accessories mounted on his metal lathe.

He took it off exactly as J. described.

BTW, I had to do the same exact thing to a 30 year old Sears lathe
about 2-3 years ago. Liquid Wrench, a 12" pipe wrench and a 12"
crescent broke it loose.

Robert