Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] albert.malvaez@gmail.com is offline

Default Lasko Premium 20" Box Fan

On Apr 6, 5:55 pm, (Joe) wrote:
I have a four year old box fan that occasionally needs to be
"hand-started" to get going. It takes a couple of flips, like hand
starting a propeller.

I'd like to disassemble and degrease the fan and motor and re-assemble.

There has to be millions of this kind of fan out there. It's the type
with a 3 speed plus off rotary switch.

Can the fan & motor assembly be disassembled enough to clean and re-grease it?

Thanks.

--- Joe

I had the same problem. 3 or 4 years ago I took the grills off of
mine. I cleaned all the disgusting dust and grime off, first with a
vacuum cleaner then I used a rag dampened with windex. I was careful
not to let any liquid go into the guts of the thing. After it was
cleaned up I saw 3 small holes on either side of the motor in close to
the shaft. I took some 10-30 motor oil and applied just a few drops to
each hole as I manually turned the fan with my hand. It felt better
right away. I didn't want to spray oil all over the house so first I
let it sit for a few hours on ether side with a rag to catch the
little bit of oil that dripped out. Then I took it out in the drive
way and ran it for about 15 minutes on high. I didn't notice anything
coming out of it and it's worked great ever since.