Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Homeowner's insurance house inspections

snip
What about if one is a packrat, has a messy array of boxes, house
painting supplies, extra furniture in the living room area, a rubber
raft yet to be fixed, tvs to be repaired, tv's on the stairs and the
basement landing to be repaired, a box of scrap metal and boxes of
scrap wood, a row of wardrobes with camping equipement, the whole
house stuffed. Magazines in stacks on the floor, a bicycle in each of
three rooms, etc. etc.

Do they refuse insurance for any of these reaasons?

nancy

Allstate did a driveby inspection of my house, saw moss on the roof, and
cancelled my policy.

There is a bit of a story - I was in the process of buying the house and
selected Allstate. Before we closed on the house, they did this. I told them
to kiss mine and went with Travellers. Travellers had no problem with the
moss, but suggested I remove it to protect the roof (which I did). They sent
out a local contractor who walked through the house, measured it, took
pictures, and left. No problems. I can't believe Allstate didn't so much as
give me the courtesy of a phone call or try to talk to me about it - they
flat cancelled the policy. Guess who I will never do business with again?

Anyone have a insurance company they would recommend for home owners
insurance? I've never had any claims, but I'm not sure I'm getting the best
deal with Travellers.