Posted to comp.dcom.cabling,rec.video.cable-tv,alt.home.repair,alt.cable-tv,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Al Dykes Al Dykes is offline

Default RG-6 QS, top brands?

In article ,
Paul Franklin wrote:
On 6 Apr 2007 08:29:32 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

In article ,
Paul Franklin wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 03:27:04 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:
snip
Belden, Alpha and Carol are all good. As important as the cable are
the connectors. The compression type are the way to go, IMO. Invest
in a good QS stripper and a compression tool. Don't bother with crimp
tools and don't even think about twist-on.

What's the diff between a compression tool and a crimp tool?

OT: I inherited break/fix responsibility (billable by the hour) on a
business thinwire lan that was installed by a TV cable guy. He used
twist-ons and no crimp rings. That site paid my rent for a couple
years, until I eventually replaced all the connectors with proper
ends.

For that reason, I've always looked fondly on twist-ons, in a bizzare
way.

The compression fitting have a captive sleeve on the cable end of the
fitting. You strip the cable more or less as usual, slide it up
through the connector as you would with a crimp type. But then the
compression tool presses the sleeve up into the body of the connector.
The inside is tapered, so when the sleeve is pressed in, it compresses
against the cable, locking it tightly into place.

Here's a pictu

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=411&sku=41077

They are also available with seals for water resistant outdoor use.
(In fact, the picture is of a connector with seals.)

Here's what the tool looks like:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...1403&sku=38011

Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

Paul

OK. It's a large, well engineered crimp tool and fitting.

I actually have tools, some cable, and a bag of ends that fit that
description. I just considered them standard tools and parts for
serious work. They came to me by accident. I was the "customer" for a
a pre-ethernet LAN built on CATV plant that spanned a 40 floor
building.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m