Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cooking-chat,sci.chemistry
mm mm is offline

Default OT for some groups, Teflon that works some of the time.

OT to some degree for some groups: My friend bought a teflon-coated
cookie sheet, for baking cookies, made by Farberware.

The first time it worked great, no-stick. It was so easy to clean up,
a few days later she figured she had time and would make more.

The second time with the same recipe, everything stuck to the tray.
It was a lot of work for her to clean off what stuck, and some of it
went all over the floor and counter when she cleaned it.

How could this happen? How is is possible?

She made macaroons, the very same recipe: coconut, vanilla, sweetened
condensed milk. She preheated the oven the same way.

She bought the tray at a store that claims to sell various kinds of
seconds. "Ollie's Bargain Outlet is Pennsylvania, Maryland, and
Delaware's largest retailer of closeout, surplus and salvage
merchandise.". Close-outs, discontinued items, things bought from
stores going out of business, etc. She paid 6.95, and the label said
"Their price 18.95" although I bet a Farberware cookie sheet normally
sells for some price in between.

Could it be a second because it works great the first time and is no
longer non-stick the second time. How is that possible?

FTR, I had to check the spelling of macaroon, and this is the recipe
in the dictionary: a drop cookie made of egg whites, sugar, usually
almond paste or coconut, and sometimes a little flour. But I have had
hers and they're good.

Also, [French macaron, from Italian dialectal maccarone, dumpling,
macaroni.]

Also 1611, "small sweet cake consisting largely of ground almonds,"
from Fr. macaron (16c.), from It. dial. maccarone (see macaroni). Fr.
meaning said to have been invented 1552 by Rabelais. The -oon ending
was conventional in 15c.-17c. Eng. to add emphasis to borrowings of
Fr. nouns ending in stressed -on.

I think she never had a Teflon cookie sheet before.