Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT, raise the head of the injured person

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The old jingle is "if he's red, raise his head. If he's pail
raise his tail."

I'd guess that the padded jacket is for comfort, and to keep the
ground from chilling the victim.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
news : OT This is very OT, but again on the radio I hear something
about
: putting a folded jacket under the head of an accident victim.
:
: Is this really a good idea? Doesn't it drain blood from the
brain,
: when that can be needed? They are also, on tv, often telling
people
: to stay conscious. Doesn't it make it harder to stay conscious
when
: the head is elevated, if there is any internal or external
bleeding?

I'm no paramedic, but IIRC the warnings about not elevating the head are to
prevent aggravating any possible spinal damage, and avoid constricting the
airway, before a trained pro can make sure all the fingers and toes still
have sensation. Basically, clear the airway if victim isn't breathing, but
otherwise discourage them from moving till ambulance gets there. Cover with
coats or whatever if it looks like they are getting shocky.

I'm sure somebody with actual training will be along shortly to correct me.

aem sends...