Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoff M Geoff M is offline

Default How to paint a steel trailer

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:44:01 -0500, Ignoramus322 wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 17:18:37 -0700, wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:16 am, Ignoramus322
wrote:
So, my plan for the INSIDE of the bed is to take a angle grinder, with
a 6" wire brush, do a decent wire brushing job, and simply apply this
ZINC spray paint on the inside. I do expect to do some touching up
once in a while as the bed gets scratched, etc, but I hope that it
would just be a few minuts per year.

To help reduce the amount of time you spend physically removing the
rust, just get rid of the loose stuff with the wire wheel then spray
the hell out of it with something like picklex-20 or prep-step. Once
those have dried you are now all set to paint.

I'm guessing that the zinc paint is like the others that I've seen
that use an epoxy base to adhere the zinc, so it should be fairly
tough. You can paint over that stuff too.

I did a home job bedliner in my old truck, just reduced with the
appropriate thinner and sprayed it. Hardest part was prepping the
bed, the spraying too almost no time at all.

I would vote for removing the camo and matching your truck, most auto
body stores will get a pretty good color match made up for you.

Thanks. About a month ago, I wirebrushed and painted with that zinc
paint, an area in the bed about 12x15". I will soon experiment to see
how well it adheres and what happens to it after several rains that we
had.

The "zinc cold galvanizing paint", actually, is a decent color match
for my pickup.

If the bedliner would stick to the paint, I think that I would like to
paint with zinc paint to prevent corrosion, and spray bedliner on top
of that.

I have found that zinc rich (93%) paint to be quite soft, and it scratches
easily. Seems to work - I have some brackets I made several years ago and
after 5 years outside, there is no rust with 2 coats of zinc paint on them.
I suggest 2 coats of zinc paint, etc prime and 2 coats of enamel, and make
sure you get into all the corners and crevices.
Geoff