Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ Bob  AZ is offline

Default Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel

On Apr 5, 2:41�pm, shawn wrote:
Bob AZ wrote:
On Apr 4, 6:28?pm, "Andy" wrote:

And pray tell where does one get some "American Elm".? In a 8" round
by 16" size? ?I would be afraid to ask where I live in the AZ desert.

I'm curious - are you restoring wagon wheels?

*Andy

Not really restoring.

I do some work for a local blacksmith shop. *They asked that I find
the right type of wood and "machine" it to size. They simply did not
have this particular item in stock..

The blacksmith shop is out of the past. Their new stuff is pre WWII. I
am not sure they even are aware that 1950 and later exists. They still
use coal for the forge. The owner is 94. His Grandfather started the
place long before the Civil War. I think it was 1840. At any rate well
before my time.

Another reply said *that the piece I am to make is called the
"boxing". *Again the piece is between the axle sleeve and the flanged
hub. The shop has the rivets in stock. Surplus from the Army/Calvary
stock. *Even me at 70+ has to get into the past to do anything right
there.

Thanks for everybodys' responses. Now if I had a contact in Dallas.

Bob *AZ

I am south of Dallas, what do you need?- Hide quoted text -