Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Water in Crawl Space

In article .com, wrote:

It only happens when we have more then an inch or two of rain in a
short period of time . I doubt it happens more then 5 or 6 times a
year. Thanks for the quick response. Any recommendation on how large
of a diameter of pipe I should use?

2 or 3 inch will drain a lot of water.

Smaller may handle the water but it's going to be more
susceptable to blockages. 2 or 3 inch will be easy to
clear if it does become blocked or partially blocked.
e.g. just ram a garden hose through it.

The hardest part of all this is likely to be making sure
the water drains well away from the house.

Your other option would be to create a sump to the
collect the water and install a water-level activated
pump (i.e. sump pump). I'd probably make that decision
based on the amount/frequency of the water and the risk
of that water causing damage to timber/drywall/whatever.
How much you're willing to spend on keeping the crawl
space dry is also going to be a factor, of course.

With a sump pump you'll need to be even more careful
to ensure the water is pumped well away from the house
and in compliance with local codes. This may require
pulling permits and may force more "disclosure" than
you want if and when you sell the property.

You might also try getting some builders/contractors
around. With luck you'll get some good recommendations
and prices for a range of options to improve the
crawl space water situation. That should make it a lot
easier to make a decision. However, in some areas, it
may be difficult to find any contractors interested in
a job like that.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |