Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Problems using regular enamel paint in microwave oven?

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Has anyone seen problems using common hardware store gloss enamel to
touch up a microwave oven interior?

Someone emailed me all in a huff that they followed this advise and it now
smells "funky" and smokes. They said the paint color was white and they
waited 24 hours before use. This was apparently under the turntable.

The smell could make sense if there was some residual solvent present and
should go away after awhile, but the "smokes" part is strange unless they
didn't bother to clean and sand beforehand and there was trapped debris.

Any comments appreciated.

We used to use[1] Humbrol model kit paint without any problems, indeed,
the 'proper stuff' came from the Humbrol factory and looked and smelled
exactly like the model enamel, only five times the price!

[1] back in the days when microwave oven repairs were financially viable

Ron(UK)