Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dgoalie@gmail.com is offline

Default Fire Departments Suck on ladders.

On Apr 5, 9:16 am, deke wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:48:35 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
deke wrote:

So a guy gets stuck in a tree while chasing his parrot and can't get
down. No problem. The fire department have ladders on all their
fire trucks, right?

Evidently not. They had to try police helicopters and then a coast
guard helicopter to get him down.

Where the hell are the ladders?

Somebody needs to check this out and hurry before we actually need a
ladder to save a life.

How high up? Last I looked the NFPA standard was only about two
stories worth. Even with the trucks, a lot depends on the placement. Was
it close enough to the drive way to get to? Was the ground too soft to
get the truck there? Was there enough room between the tree and other
obstructions to maneuve the ladder on the truck?
Location is everything. For example, the City-County Building in
Ft. Wayne, IN was built in such a manner that the ladder trucks couldn't
get too close to it. Even with the 70 foot ladder, the best they could
do was the third floor. Anyone care to guess where the FWFD offices were
located??

I don't understand. I can go down to the store and buy a 60 foot
ladder for less than $200. I'd expect the fire department to have
ladders that are at least twice as long and maybe 3 times.

Soil too soft? So grab some pads from the station and make a path.
And get a tow truck and pull it out later. That takes all of 10
minutes to get one of those vultures out to help you.

Tree in the way? Chain saw.....

Incompetence seems to be rampant.

In my state, every time a fire fighter breaks a fingernail, all the
firefighters abandon their designated posts and attend his visit to
the doctor. It is completely out of hand and something needs to be
done.

My other pet peeve is swat teams. They spend months in training to
determine how long it takes high school kids to lay there and bleed to
death from gun shot wounds, then add 4 hours to that and then they
cowardly ease their way into the building.- Hide quoted text -

Umm, I sure hope your house doesn't catch on fire anytime soon or a
loved one doesn't end up in a hostage situation Your ignorance of the
fire service only makes you look like an idiot. Why would they have a
ladder that is taller than any building in town? Come on! There is a
huge difference between a ladder from the hardware store and a piece
of fire equipment. If you can show me the city or town that would
approve the purchase of a ladder truck just in case someone climbs up
a tree after a bird, I'll give you credit for your statement. Until
then, quit commenting in ignorance.