Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Wood type in the hub of a Wood Spoked Wagon Wheel

"Bob AZ" wrote in message

Any idea what type of wood is used in the hub of a wood spoked wagon
wheel? Can you tell by looking or feeling?

American elm.

And finally what is the name of the tool that drills "square holes" on
wood. I think it is called a mortise drill. Am I right?

"Hollow chisel mortiser". Combination of chisel and bit. Bit rides inside
the four sided chisel and removes most of the wood while the chisel, with
downward pressure of the tool/machine, squares the corner of the round hole,
in on pass.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07