Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default home made chuck for finishing the bowl base?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 04:20:11 -0700, "Bill N"
wrote:

when you use one of these chucks, understand that the grip on the bowl is
not very strong, so you must use very light cuts. also understand that you
must have a uniform rim, you can't use it on a natural edged piece. I made
one per instructions using a router and plywood, got rid of it when I got
vacuum and a larger lathe.

I had already figured on both of those things. But considering how
cheaply and easily I can make one, it will be a nice addition to my
tooling, especially since I really just don't have any plans to get
myself a vacuum chuck. No reason not to have one, and if it saves me
some work on even a handful of my projects, that will be reason enough
for it to be in the shop.