Posted to alt.home.repair
AlanC37 AlanC37 is offline

Default Drilling Hole in Log Wall

Thanks. I can do that but the 3.5 inch hole cutters I can find only go a
couple of inches deep. Maybe a reciprocating saw will do the job once I
have made a hole big enough to accept the blade. I'm going to try this when
the rain stops. Alan C

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 10:27 am, "AlanC37" wrote:
I need to make a 3.5 inch diameter hole through a log wall for cables
and
pipes for a big split type of heat pump. The total length, including
plaster and siding, will be about 15 inches and the logs are about 12
inches
thick. I have, so far, been unable to find a long enough drill at 3.5
inch
diameter so am considering drilling a number of small holes (3/8 inch)
and
chiselling out the remains of the log. Might be a bit tough for an old
guy
so I am hoping someone could advise me of a better way. I'm sure big
holes
in logs often need to be drilled but don't know how. Any advice will be
gratefully received. Thanks, Alan C37

Have you considered drilling from each side toward the center? It is
better to drill a through hole, no doubt but I'm sure you can also
measure as accurately as you can from each side and use a square
against the building to guide your bit. After you put the pipe
through you will probably use some type of caulk or foam anyway.