Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,misc.consumers.house
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Touch lamp stays on constantly

Doc wrote:
The bulb burned out on a touch lamp I got at Wal Mart a while back and
when I replaced the bulb, I find it stays on all the time. Now I don't
use it since it doesn't have any other on/off.

What's the likely cause of this and is it something that's readily
repairable?

Thanks.

This is common, the bulb arcs internally when it blows and pops the
triac in the dimmer module. If it's not potted in solid epoxy it's easy
to fix and I've done several. You can get a triac at Radio Shack that
will work, it doesn't have to be an exact replacement. In the dimmers
I've fixed so far that was the only problem.