Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

Default home made chuck for finishing the bowl base?

"cad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Jim,
After seeing the prices of these chucks, I make my own out of hardwood
plywood.

About the hardest thing to find to make it is rubber stoppers with a
hole thru the center. A medical supply house will have these. Cant
remember what they are called but the sides are tapered.

They're called "rubber stoppers with hole". Really.

You align your bowl on this jaw using the live center in your
tailstock with the center of the bottom of your bowl and use the
tailstock to apply pressure to the bowl and hold it in place. Then you
slide the rubber bumpers snugly next to the side of the bowl and lock
them down.

Once all the rubber bumpers are locked down you remove the tailstock
out of the way and finish the bottom of your bowl.

I think I may have drawings I made to make mine with, but, right now I
dont have a way to make a pdf of those drawings. The best I would be
able to give you is a .jpg of the drawing.

Google PDF995. Free, sets up as printer, and produces PDF from CAD file.