Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Drilling Hole in Log Wall

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"AlanC37" wrote in message
.. .
I need to make a 3.5 inch diameter hole through a log wall for
cables and
pipes for a big split type of heat pump. The total length, including
plaster and siding, will be about 15 inches and the logs are about 12
inches thick. I have, so far, been unable to find a long enough
drill at 3.5 inch diameter so am considering drilling a number of
small holes (3/8 inch) and chiselling out the remains of the log.
Might be a bit tough for an old guy so I am hoping someone could
advise me of a better way. I'm sure big holes in logs often need to
be drilled but don't know how. Any advice will be gratefully
received. Thanks, Alan C37

A company named Bosworth makes large mortise and tenon shaping tools
for log applications. They may have something. Try googling for log
tools. In this world of specialization, someone's gotta make
something like that, even if it's a huge Forstner.

Steve

IIRC,they make 3' Forstner bits.You would need an extension shaft to drive
it deep,though,and a powerful drill,like a HoleHawg.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik