Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Siding in the rain - disaster!

I'm in the gay state of Massachusetts.
Opps, I mean the bay state.

"longshot" wrote in message
news:vUyQh.6423$hI4.5222@trndny08...
is this in backwoods, Tennessee or Beverly Hills, California

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
Not because of rain but the incompetent installer.
I'm no expert but every time I've had someone out to do work its a mess!
It may take me twice as long but its done right or at least better than
what these clowns do.

12" x 16' MDF siding. one side of the house all the siding needs
replacing.
I ripped off all the old siding.
I put the first course up.
The "handyman" started at 7:00am this morning he had to put up about 20
courses wrapped around 2 windows and an air conditioner.
I leave work at noon and when I get home I can see problems right away.
I said the siding they are putting up should line up with the old siding
on the back of the house. He was off by 2 -3 inches. I pointed to all the
houses around us and they all line up!!
Oh **** he says, He didn't check that. Then I point out that he's been
using a nail gun and driving the nails 1/8" countersunk. I said, "what
are you going to do about that. He said he would fill the holes. Yeh
right... that's going to last...
Keep in mind that this siding sucks, once the surface is broken and water
gets in this stuff swells and flakes apart. No way am I going to patch
these nail heads. Some nails were halfway through the siding.

Then I pointed out that some of the courses were crooked. Over an 8 foot
span he had 10 " of exposure at one end and 9.25 at the other end.
He said he put a level on it!
I said Pack your stuff and get out of here...At this point he knew he
screwed it up. The cleaned up and left. He offered to tear down the
siding but I said just leave.
I pointed out that he ruined about $150 worth of material. He said he
would mail me a check. I took pictures of the poor job and him up on the
ladder.
If I don't get a check for the material next week it will be off to small
claim court...

AM I CORRECT?

1. the siding should line up all the way around the house, within reason,
say within .25" - .375"
2. You should not countersink nails in this siding...
3. when you get to a window you notch out the siding so that it wraps
around the window. He cut the full board at the side of the window and
then put a 4" piece just under the window.

I was paying this guy $65 Hr for him and a helper.
I had called a couple of references but who knows who they were. They
said they had no problems with his work.
Also I didn't think the job was that difficult.

With the help of you guys to answer my questions, I would rather do it
myself.

Just had to vent!!

Steve