Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default unlevel floor prob

"steve" sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote in message
Hello, I am redoing my kitchen and the floor slopes downward from one side
to the other. It is out by about an inch in height from from 10 feet
across. Would self-levelling cement fix the prob? Also, can you lay tile
over existing ceramic tile or should it be removed.
regards,
Steve

We remodeled a garage into a casita. The floor slopes, but no one really
notices. The recliner swivels around on its base by itself, and the
fishbowl is minutely out of level. The fridge, cabinets and countertops
are level. Other than that, it's not worth the hassle for the stuff that
sits on the floor. Besides, IMNSHO, it is impossible to lay concrete that
thin to put a topcoat on there and taper it from one inch to zero without
having the concrete sluff off at some future time. Maybe tiling over it
would make it work, but it would be an expensive experiment.

As for removing the tile, yes, yes, yes. You will get arguments about
tiling over old tile and roofing over old roofing. You believe one way or
the other. I like to strip it down to the base and start from hard rock. I
did go buy a $20 HD air chisel when doing mine, and it whisked right through
tile, and a couple of layers of flooring and the adhesives, too. A noisy,
messy job, but we covered it with travertine, so wanted a good floor.

Do it once. Do it right. (my motto) Nothing I hate more than finishing a
job, and regretting taking a little more time on it, or skimping on
something that made a difference in the end results.

Steve