Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Oren Oren is offline

Default How to paint a steel trailer

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 13:31:49 -0500, Ignoramus322
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:20:43 -0700, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:58:47 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:16:37 -0500, Ignoramus322
wrote:

I have this trailer that I made with a military surplus bed.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Home...th-M105A2-Bed/

Now that warmer weather has come, I can think about painting it.

The bed has some rust spots and such. I would like to know if there is
a way to paint it such that it will only need minor maintenance from
now on.

As an extra tidbit, I have 16 aerosol cans with "93% zinc paint". It
seems to be good stuff.

So, my plan for the INSIDE of the bed is to take a angle grinder, with
a 6" wire brush, do a decent wire brushing job, and simply apply this
ZINC spray paint on the inside. I do expect to do some touching up
once in a while as the bed gets scratched, etc, but I hope that it
would just be a few minuts per year.

Rino Liner

My thoughts, also. A small sandblaster would make fast work for the
serious rust spots.

Doing Rhino inside only would cost me about $900.

As far as sandblasting goes, I am quite open minded since I have a
"Real 5 HP" compressor and could, in principle, do sandblasting.

I assume that you are referring to those sandblasting guns that work
in the open, without a tent or some such, around.

I have two small blasters. Just a small hopper, short hose and the gun
attaches to the compressor hose. I've used several types of blast
material. A cheap one is just simple play sand, sold near you. Crushed
pecan shells, etc. My favorite was called Black Witch.

Oh, a face shield.

This approach to blasting will help in the corners and tight spaces.

Years ago I found a product in the auto stores for rust called Extend.
Once to clean metal, spray this stuff on. I think Loctite Co bought
the brand is now on their site.

You have a compressor and you may be able to rent a blaster for the
day. One of mine is Craftsman brand. IIRC, $59.00 back then.

Save the $900.00 (G).
--
Oren