Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Spiral fluorescent lighting - not getting anywhere near the 5 to 7 year life - anyone else?

On 3 Apr 2007 12:29:02 -0400, wrote:

Bonnie Peebles wrote:

With the initial higher cost of the bulb, I'm GUESSING I would need
the bulb to last close to at least 4 years to pay for itself. The
bulbs run about $7 for 3ea 100 watt equivalent (they use 26 watts)

That's $2.33 each. It would pay for itself in H hours at C cents/kWh
compared to a 50 cent incandescent if HC(100-26)/1000 = 233-50, ie
H = 2493/C hours, eg 249 hours at 10 cents/kWh, eg 618 days
(1.7 years) if used for 4 hours per day.

Is anyone else using these fluorescent lights?

Sure.

I get them at Wal-Mart so it is whatever brand they carry. My current
bad bulb is made by Commercial Electric. It had a 7 year guarantee.

When I called Commercial Electric with the 800 number printed on the CFs
I bought at Home Depot and gave them the date code on the dead bulb,
they sent me a new one, free.

Nick

I have in front of me 6 power companies and their kwh cost. Not one
of them approaches10 cents.