Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Spiral fluorescent lighting - not getting anywhere near the 5to 7 year life - anyone else?

wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:

I'd love to see your sources on that. The lowest I've seen is about 5
seconds worth of running energy to turn it on, with most places giving
the numbers I presented.

Where did you find those numbers? :-)

Just did some more digging.

Mythbusters did an episode where they actually measured it.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/12/e..._fall_lig.html

They found that for a standard fluorescent lamp (they didn't specify
ballast type) it took about 23 seconds to make up for the startup surge.
With a CFL, however, it took 0.015 seconds.

Some other sources specified a 5-second time for fluorescent lamps.
However, these also looked at the deterioriation due to the actual
switching and concluded that once you factor in lamp replacement you're
better off leaving it running if you're going to need it in 15-20 minutes.

http://lightingdesignlab.com/article...luorescent.htm
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/.../mytopic=12280
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/energystar/en...=N&printview=N

Chris