Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] ls1mike@gmail.com is offline

Default Using piano wire to cut chocolate

On Apr 2, 10:21 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
wrote:
Traditionally, I buy a ten lb bar of chocolate for Easter. Half goes
to the kids. The other half goes in my desk drawer at work (plus half
of what I gave the kids because they're not nearly as passionate as I
am for chocolate, but that's another story).

Cutting this bar is never fun. I've thought about making a chocolate
cutter out of a piano wire or maybe a guitar string - sort of like the
big cheese cutters they use at the cheese store that I frequent. If I
could heat the wire, it would make the job much easier. Is there a
safe way to electrically heat such a wire sufficiently to cut
chocolate? What sort of low-voltage circuit could I use for this? Or
is this idea completely off the wall?

Use a froe and mallet.http://thelibrary.springfield.missou...odicals/bitter...
Material is relatively brittle, edge is relatively sharp - impact
manageable chunks. Stuff would scoot about, but that's just
containment and not a major issue.

That's essentially what I've been doing for years. I use a nice,
sharp French knife and smack the back of the blade with a mallet. The
resulting mess is what I'm trying to avoid. After I'm done with a ten
lb bar, I have about one lb of crumbs on the board, and maybe another
1/2 lb on the floor.

A few have suggested a 'score and snap' method, kind of like cutting
glass or wallboard. Depending on how deeply I would need to score it,
this sounds like it has a good potential to solve, or at least reduce
my problem. That sounds like my next likely approach.