Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default 5 Gal Bottle Water Dispenser, water not clear coming out?

I think this is the correct approach, but I would suggest that after
draining the cooler unplug it and take it outside. Use dish washing
detergent and water to wash as much of the crud out as you can and rinse
well.

Now mix a bucket of hot water and add 1/2 cup of bleach per gallon and fill
up the cooler about 3/4 with this and shake things around a bit to get any
bubbles to pop. Now top it off, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the
cooler through each of the taps

This will kill everything that is there. Now rinse everything with tap
water until you can no longer smell the chlorine.

Do not be tempted to think that more is better. Making the bleach solution
stronger does not kill any more bugs and the stronger you make it and the
longer you let it set the more likely you are to get corrosion on things you
do not want to corrode.

The contamination was likely caused by the outside of the bottle. It is
good practice to clean the neck of the bottle before dumping it into the
cooler.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"news" wrote in message
you have some MAJOR problems. first off, just
empty the water out a glass at a time. you probably
have a bacteria growing in your cooler. take the
bottle off the cooler, fill the reservoir with tap water.
put in 1/4th of a TEASPOON of Clorox in that water.
draw about 4 or 5 glasses of water through the cold
spiggot, and pour back into reservoir. do the same
on the hot. let the water sit for about 30 minutes.
draw out all that water and discard. now you MUST
get new bottles, as the bacteria is on your bottles, and
will re-infect your cooler...get new bottles. put a new
bottle on, and discard the first few glasses out of the
cold, and about 10 glasses out of the hot....
"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
t...
So I have a GE water dispenser that has Hot, Cold and a 'Fridge'

So lately the watter is coming out either Green or Brown, (I'd have to

ask
someone as I cant see the difference between the two colors)

The Water in the 5 gallon bottle is clear and looks clean. If I fill a
few glasses of water it comes clear. The unit is in my office, which
usually has the lights off and has never seen the light of day. So Its

not
algee from the sun or anything.

1) What is it?
2) Why is it there?
3) what is the best way to get rid of it?

there is still about 3 gallons of water in the bottle. Any tricks for
getting the bottle off without making a mess?

Thanks,
Scott=-