Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Using piano wire to cut chocolate

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Get some nichrome wire from a hobby shop. that's what we use to cut
styrofoam wing cores for model airplanes. Hook a 6 or 9v power to it.

12v
if you're in a hurry.

This is not going to work so well on a block of chocolate. Chocolate being
a blend of solids, fat and sugar and can have 6 different kinds of fat
crystals in the mix. Each one of the crystal structures has a different
melting point and great lengths are gone to by chocolate makers to see that
the one that forms is the crystal that melts just below body temperature.

The hot wire works good on foam as it melts the shell of the cells that make
up the foam and the melted bits recede from the heat. The chocolate would
flow back and melt together. The melted part may also suffer from a loss of
its desired crystalline structure if overheated.

Better to score and snap it.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.