Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Are concrete expansion strips needed?

On Apr 3, 10:12 am, "Eileen" wrote:
We just installed three patios and a set of stairs connected to our
current patio. My husband noticed they did not install expansion
strips. He questioned it, and this is their reply. My question: are
they telling us truth, or trying to avoid rework?
"In reference to the concrete, we did dowel into the concrete as
requested.
However we did not provide expansion strips due to the fact the point
of an expansion strip is to allow the concrete to remain free standing
from the foundation. Therefore by doweling into the foundation, this
would defeat the purpose of providing an expansion joint.
Consequently the expansion joint would only create an eye sore to the
patio and more importantly provide a point of entry for water, which
in our experience has created problems. Expansion joints have allowed
water to enter beneath the concrete and in between the foundation,
which after a season in Colorado of freezing and thawing will
inevitably cause problems. It is our policy not to use expansion
strips due the problems we've experienced after using them. Also, the
only concrete typically inspected in a county are areas for structural
purposes. "

Considering their detailed explanation they gave you it hardly matters
what the facts are. They are not coming back to put in any expansion
joints regardless of anyone may say. I'm not expert in this field but
the sidwalks I have seen all have expansion cracks. No concrete
sidewalk last forever and all of them eventually have some type of
cracks whether or not they are doweled and whether or not they have
expansion joints.