Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus322 Ignoramus322 is offline

Default How to paint a steel trailer

I have this trailer that I made with a military surplus bed.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Home...th-M105A2-Bed/

Now that warmer weather has come, I can think about painting it.

The bed has some rust spots and such. I would like to know if there is
a way to paint it such that it will only need minor maintenance from
now on.

As an extra tidbit, I have 16 aerosol cans with "93% zinc paint". It
seems to be good stuff.

So, my plan for the INSIDE of the bed is to take a angle grinder, with
a 6" wire brush, do a decent wire brushing job, and simply apply this
ZINC spray paint on the inside. I do expect to do some touching up
once in a while as the bed gets scratched, etc, but I hope that it
would just be a few minuts per year.

A bigger question is what to do on the outside. There is a lot more
paint left on the outside and I sort of like the camo color
pattern. (though the grey color is not bad also and would fit the
color of my pickup)

Ideally, I would like to find a way to mostly preserve this pattern. A
few months ago, on the spur of the moment, I bought a couple of little
cans of paint at the local pro paint store, but I am a little doubtful
that latex paint will really adhere. Does anyone hve any experience
with repainting with latex over old paint or wirebrushed rust.

Any thoughts.