Posted to alt.electronics
Wombat-Pipex-News Wombat-Pipex-News is offline

Default Digital 7 Segment Display

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:09:21 +0100, "Wombat-Pipex-News"
wrote:

Hi all
Can Anyone tell me if the CA3162E is compatible with the 74HC4511
Im talking about the 4 data lines that go from chip to chip. ABCD - 0123
Normaly the CA3162 is used with the CA3161 but I was hoping to us the
74HC4511 instead as Ive got loads of them.
The 74HC4511 uses Common Cathode displays but the CA3161 uses the Common
Anode types.
I've got lots of the CC type and that was another reason for wanting to
use
this chip.

Would the data lines be inverted and need to be inverted to be compatible
with the display dirver IC.?

Ive so far not had much luck as Ive conected ABCD to 0123 but nothing
lights
up. :-/
Would an inverter fix ths problem, or is the lines not connected
correctly.?

---
You've probably made a wiring error or you're not using the part
properly.

For the 3162 data sheet, go to:

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn1080.pdf

then go to page 6 for data on using it with the 4511.

The display they've shown is a single HP5082-7433, but you can do
the same thing with three single 7-segment digits if you wire the
segments in parallel and mux the cathodes with PNPs.

Want a schematic?

--
JF

Hi John... agian !! :-)
Ya I'd not mind a little diagram if you have one to hand, but only if you
have it to hand, dont go and spend hours making it just for me mate!
I already had that PDF But just missed that part on page 6 !! Now seing it
again I remember it. :-/ Tipical
I just figured that the ABCD was a streight 0123 connection like on the
CA3161. But didnt think to check first.
Right looks like it needs some pull Up resistors.
Am I right in thinking that I dont realy need those bits in the dotted lined
area, as I don't want the display to show -99
or any over volts anyway. Which I think that part is meant to do. Its for a
Speedo and Tach in a car, so it will only operate in a fixed range anyhow.

As for the 7 Segment displays, I am using 3 singles like you described. But
looking at the diagram it looks to have 3 buffers (CD4050B) instead.
Why.? I thought the CA3162E multiplexed the display anyhow using the PNPs.

Also.. Is that an error on the PDF, Pins 2 and 7 are joined via x2 100k
Resistors and not used like pull-up resistors.?
I would have expected them to be wire up like pins 1 and 7 with a 100k Res
going to +V.
But looking at the diagram pin 2 is direct to +V. Did they cock up and put
the BLOB (wire joint) on the wrong line.?

Regards
Wombat.