Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cbanman@kc.rr.com is offline

Default ztr mower with new motor, kill switch trouble

I have an exmark walk behind mower and recently replaced the 14 HP
single cylinder kawasaki engine with a new 2 cylinder 15 HP kawasaki
engine. The old engine was a pull start and the new was designed as
electric start. I bought this engine since it was much cheaper than
the pull start mowers. I paid a few bucks to have it converted to a
pull start since my mower isn't set up for electric ignition. The
only trouble is I am having trouble getting the kill switches to
work. The levers on the handles should allow the mower to be in gear
and/or the blades engaged, but if you release the handles the mower
dies. With the new motor I am having trouble getting this all to work
properly. There is a black wire on the mower that is the kill wire
and if I connect this to ground when the engine is running it will die
as it is supposed to. But when I hook up the old kill wire from the
mowers wiring harness to this kill switch, the safety devices won't
kill the engine.