Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing Severed House Ground Wire

On Apr 2, 5:38?pm, "Red" wrote:
On Apr 2, 1:36 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 2, 3:57?pm, "SMcK" wrote:

Saturday, while roto-tilling a neglected area next to our house, I
accidentally severed the ground wire coming from the house to the
metal pole that's sunk down into the ground. ?There's more wire
running from the first pole to a second. ?That wire is intact, but
that's meaningless since the first section is severed. ?I went to
Lowe's and picked up one of the clamps shown in the lower right of
this pictu

http://www.endtimesreport.com/pictur...und_clamps.jpg

My initial thought was that I could put the two ends of the broken
cable through this and clamp them together. ?The hole was too big so I
flipped the lower piece to form a nested V shape and clamped the cable
together between the Vs. ?The two cables touch where they overlap, and
(one assumes) are also electrically connected by the clamp itself. ?So
I *think* the house is back to being grounded.

Eventually I'll get an electrician out to see if I can get some more
slack in that cable - I want to put a deck in that area and I can't do
it with a ground wire stretched from the house to the pole, suspended
a few inches above the ground as it is currently.

Do any of you electrical experts see this as a problem that needs to
be addressed more expertly and immediately? ?Anyone think it's
something I can handle myself?

-Scott

code calls for ONE continious piece from main panel to all ground
rods.

I would just install a new main ground system, you cant pull the old
ground rods, splicing isnt code approved, and the existing rods are
likely mushroomed on the top from being driven in years ago. way
easier to start over.

a friend has this exact trouble were removing planters and widening
his driveway, he wants to pull the old rods and reuse the copper
lines, he is certifiably insane- Hide quoted text -

What does the code say about connecting the wire to the ground rod?
If you use a clamp, it is not continuous to ground. (well, not more
than a few inches of ground anyway).- Hide quoted text -

wire must go in and thru clamp on each gound rod, one continious line
no splices