Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
C. dog e. doG C. dog e. doG is offline

Default Lawn Aeration vs letting the squirrels and birds do it

Hey Traitor Joe -
Before you start railing against someone for mentioning frugal means
of doing something, check out the title of this web-group -
"misc.consumers.frugal-living". So now that we know you are a moron,
let's undress your tidy little yard in public:
1. No fertilizer = years of neglect. You assume grass won't grow
without the stuff. Grass grows fine on mine and I never fertilize
it. Sounds like someone hasn't yet figured out how advertising works
- by appealing to the moronic side of one's brain (yours is certainly
functioning well).
2. Homogeneous lawn = best lawn. Yawn .... Boring! When I walk (not
drive like you, you lazy fat ass) around my neighborhood, the best
looking lawns are ones with violets, bluets, moss, and other cool
stuff growing in them. I know the mechanistic lawn Krauts prefer
domination and monoculture to this dizzying array of plant life, but
just ask any kid which lawn they prefer who hasn't been subjected to
years of Scott's brainwashing about what a proper lawn should look
like. I bet you also think all women should be big breasted blondes.
I, on the other hand, enjoy the varied landscape of women. And you
also like your rainbows one color. Dare I say, Green? Again, the
more colors, the merrier for me.
3. Chem Lawn = a good lawn. Sure, if you own stock in it. But me, I
prefer Irish spring lawn, where the grass is not poisoness, ground
water is safe to drink, worms and such squirm and wriggle in ecstasy,
and kids play ball using the usual array of arms, legs, and heads.
4. Unhealthy lawn = needs industrial regimen of fertilizer,
herbicides, mechanical aeration, etc. Or, you could just add some
loam, some seed mix that does well in the particular climate, and
watch it grow. I bet you're the kind of guy that goes to Arizona and
expects Kentucky blue grass.
5. Professional = best method. They're just regular saints, aren't
they, selflessly caring for grass across our fruity plain with no
thought to compensation. No, it isn't surprising how "professionals"
go about "caring" for lawns. Follow the money, moron. The more they
"care" for a lawn, the more money they get. They have to aerate soil
because they kill off the natural aerators with their chemical soup
applications. Ditto for the "thatch problem". And, they "have" to
apply herbicides because "proper" lawns have only one grass. (We also
must get rid of the Jews because proper Germany has only one race ...
oops, I sidetracked)
6. Traitor Joe = worker for Chem Lawn or Scotts, or just some lackey
miscreant?

Hey Traitor Joe, eat a monster size slab of prime rib with an extra
ladling of gravy the next time you're in NYC for me ... please.
- C. dog e. doG

wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:00 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
On Mar 26, 6:52 am, wrote:

On Mar 26, 1:34 am, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

On Mar 25, 4:28 pm, "The Henchman" wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

freenews.net...

Nonetheless, some people persist in these behaviors, and it's not
unreasonable for them to seek advice on the most cost-effective way of
going
about them.

Which is exactly why I say don't do anything to your lawn but cut it.
Grass doesn't "DIE". If it's not as healthy as it could be, it kind of
hibernates for a while (turns brown, doesn't grow as fast). Give me a
brown lawn over a green one anyday. I have better things to do with my
time than mow the damned lawn, and I don't really care to spend so much
money on fuel to power the lawn tractor. The most un-frugal thing you can
do to a lawn is ANYTHING to help it be more healthy, such as watering,
aerating, fertilizing, tc. -Dave

Not to mention the increase in property value your home will have. A well
taken care of flower garden and manicured lawn will add about 30 to $50 000
to your asking price on a house in my neighborhood

People who don't take care of their lawns are burning money on their biggest
tangible asset if they own. If you are over the age of 50 your biggest
assest should be your retirement portfolio which means your house (mortgage
free) will be your second biggest asset and much more important to your
financial health. People over the age of 50 get more exspensive health
issues and you shouldn't borrow against your retirment portfolio to pay for
house so borrow against your house if the need arises. Wouldn't it be nice
to borrow against your house if it were worth more?? Take care of the lawn,
take care of your assests and get some exercise!!!

Not to mention the city and your neighbors will raise complaints if you
don't take care of your lawn. Your brown lawn will cost you money on your
property values and affect your next door neighbor's property value and will
affect the amount the city can charge you on property tax if they follow the
market assessment way of taxation.

Not to mention the increase in property value your home will have. A well
taken care of flower garden and manicured lawn will add about 30 to $50 000
to your asking price on a house in my neighborhood

You are full of it Mr. Lawn Nazi.

A green lawn does not add 30-50K to the value of your house.

The assessed value of your home doesn't even take into account if you
have a lawn.

The ONLY time a green lawn matters is when the "For Sale" is on the
front lawn...and that can be arranged with a one time application of
fertilizer.

TMT- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I'm sure all the crabgrass and bare spots from years of
neglectwill look simply splendid in Sept, Oct, Nov
with one application of fertilizer. It should also work real well
in mid summer with no water too, right? LOL And
I'm sure there's no difference between quack grass or poa trivialis
and ketucky blue grass, right?

If you don't control weeds and help maintain proper grass for years,
one bag of fertilizer isn't gonna fix it.- Hide quoted text -

Have you tried it?

Have I tried putting a bag on ferilizer on a lawn with years of
neglect, thinking it will make it look real swell just before I sell
my house? No, because I prefer to have a nice green lawn while I'm
living here. And I know that'
one bag of fertilizer isn't going to solve anything. If I want to
see what the neglect system of lawn care looks like, a simple drive
through the neighborhood will do. The lawns that don't receive any
regular fertilizer, weed control, or even start with proper grass all
look like crap.

I have...it works.

A healthy lawn maintains itself.

For aeration a healthy lawn has earthworms...no further aeration
needed.

And who said the person asking the question has a healthy lawn? The
above statement
is like saying no need to mow a lawn that is already cut. Did you
examine it to determine
that it doesn't have a thatch problem or compacted soil? And
isn;'t it a bit strange
that if aeration is a waste, that it's routinely done by turf
professionals that manage golf courses,
athletic fields, parks, etc?

I too once was a Lawn Nazi thinking I had to put chemicals and
fertilizers on to keep up with the Jones not to mention the time
involved. When you dump the chemicals and fertilizers on, you drive
the worms and good microbes away, cause an environment conductive to
fungi and disease and risk higher personal disease risks from the
chemicals.

If you have a good lawn in place (and you should have made sure you
did before buying the house),

Now this is a hoot! If all it takes is a bag of fertilizer a month
before selling a house
to make a lawn look nice what's the big deal? The condition of the
lawn is my last
concern. In fact, I'd rather buy one from someone that has a
neglected one
because that way the property usually has fewer and lower bids due to
the lack of curb appeal.
And if all it takes is benign neglect to make a lawn look great, as
you say, then just do nothing
and before long the lawn will look fantastic, so who would care what
it looks like when they buy it?

the lawn will take care of itself....its
a balanced ecosystem.

The only one who doesn't like it are the companies that don't get your
money for lawn products and services.

And surprise...it's frugal in terms of time and money.

TMT- Hide quoted text -

See, not everyone is so worried about being "frugal". The term
didn;t even enter this thread
until you brought it up. Just because you want to be cheap,
pinch pennies and delude yourself, doesn't mean everyone else has the
same priorities.
I like to go out for a nice dinner at top NYC restaurant. That can
cost $250 Is that OK
with you, or do I have to only eat at home or brown bag it? BTW, the
cost of that meal
is more than what I spend for fertilizer, weed control, liming,
aeration etc. for a season on
a 15,000 sq ft lawn.

Anyone considering your advice concerning lawn care should make sure
to read your statement above, "Give me a brown lawn over a green one
anyday." It speaks volumes about your tastes and what your advice
will produce.