Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default A long musing about wooden tool handles.

I use a mish-mash of things, partly because I rarely set aside much time
for working on, say, rehandling all my tools to some standard. On the
other hand, if a hunk of wood has turned down below the size of what I
seek when I get past the defects (I'm a firewood, etc. turner, not an
expensive blank guy) I'll often turn a handle, even if I don't have a
specific tool to mount in it just at the moment.

The only brand name things I have are a couple of Glasers with the weird
handles, bought as such to see if there was much of anything to the idea
that the shot-filled handle "worked better". Good metal, dunno that I
see a lot of difference to the shot fill, but the substantial length is
nice .vs. some other commercial tools.

However, the main thing I'm bothering to post a reply about is finish on
wood. I positively hate film-finished wooden handles, as the feel is
bad. If not making a replacement handle, at least stripping or scraping
off the poly/varnish/whatever and hitting the bare wood with wax/oil
improves the heck out of a handle for my taste; likewise, that's the
finish of choice for handles made at home.