Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default CD player problem

"b" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 1, 12:55 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Another fairly
common one that can cause the same problem, is a split in the nylon
pinion
on the shaft of the sled motor. If you push the sled manually down the
slides, you can feel it go bump-bump-bump as the gears rotate. Nothing
can
be done about that one, except to replace the pinion from a scrap deck.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Just remembered something. ARFA: I have
an ONKYO cd player gathering dust with this cracked sled pinion
problem; any ideas on sourcing a replacement or shall I just toss it?
(it's not a 'high end' deck anyway).
-B.

Hi B

I have found that in general, most of the pinions are about the same size,
and you can usually get away with + / - one tooth without noticing a
problem. The shaft size is close enough on all of the motors that are
currently used. Most come from the Mitsumi stable anyway. I keep a junk box
with a variety of old decks for exactly the reason of culling odd little
parts like this, that would otherwise write off a perfectly good item. If
you don't have such a thing yourself, it would be worth paying a visit to
any local repair shop that you might still have near you. They are sure to
have piles of scrap CD and DVD players out back, that they would be happy
for you to relieve them of. Another possibility might be an old computer CD
drive ? Local waste tip also ? I see lots of the cheapo little supermarket
hifis dumped at my local recycling centre. Often, these have a CD player in
the top, and just by opening the lid, you can see if the deck is in any way
similar enough to yours to have a part that you can use. I don't see much
Onkyo stuff, so I don't recall much about the decks that they use, but many
manufacturers just use 'off the shelf' Sony or Sanyo decks, so you might
even find the exact same one in the last place you might expect.

Arfa