Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Shop Storage - How Do You Do It?

Good idea to ask this question every few months. I always learn something.

My machine tools are all mounted on the edges of the shop and everything
else is on wheels so the center of the shop can be changed around as
needed. There is also a garage door at one end of this shop so I could
squish everything to the sides if I had to bring a vehicle in, maybe.
See www.spaco.org/myshop.htm

Metal stock storage:
For my 10-12 foot stock: I built a 3 tier storage rack on a 14 foot
wall behind the lathe, grinder, power hammer and forge. The supports
for each tier sticks out only 6" but holds about a 6 inch high stack of
stock. This whole wall is 24 feet long so I can just get 12 footers in
and out of this area.
For my 8 foot to 2 foot stock:
I have a vertical storage area that is 23 inches wide and 18 inches
deep. Longest stock is toward the back, shorter in the center and
shortest in the front. It works okay, but I am eyeing the stock storage
devices that most hardware stores use for this purpose. One day, I will
exactly duplicate one of those.
For 22 inches to 2 or 3 inches:
I have set of heavy duty office drawers. One for rounds, one for flats
and one for Misc. The 1 inch thick top drawer holds my 12" X 12" X
1" surface plate. A 2 inch deep drawer under that holds lathe tooling
and the bottom drawer holds lathe chucks, dogs, etc..
For Misc and longer stock, I have an old 17 foot diameter steel
grainary. Longest stock goes right in the main door to the floor and
everything else goes to either side. This is where the major mess is,
but only a few people I know have ever seen it. It is the only place
where there is a condensing environment.

Having just moved into my new woodshop, I went looking for a workbench
with a lot of storage. After capturing pix of about 20 benches, the
style I chose turned out to be a kitchen cabinet/sink base with a new
top. These are generally 8 to 10 feet long, lots of storage, with
plenty of drawers and certainly available.

I have well over 1000 sq ft of storage in the "attic" areas above all 3
of my shops. The stairway is electrically operated to get it out of
the way. The shop link above details it.

We have about 6000 sq feet for storage in 3 other "dirt-floor" buildings.

Pete Stanaitis

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am interested in seeing how others do and what they use for storage
within their shops.

Anything from fasteners to material stock to tooling to ???....how do
you store it and what is it stored in or on?

Anything from the lowly coffee can to a Lista cabinet...let's hear
about it.

Descriptions and pictures would be great.

Thanks

TMT