Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Adding Electrical Service Near Gas Fireplace?

On Mar 31, 11:59 pm, "James" wrote:
I want to hang a plasma flat screen TV over my gas fireplace. I also
want to cut the drywall and add 3 in-wall speakers as well as add a
dual 120V electrical outlet immediately behind the TV.

I'm hesitating about one thing. The drywall cavity behind the
fireplace has the natural gas service line and a valve. When I add the
speakers and the electrical outlet, the electrical service will share
the same in-wall cavity as the gas line. I'm a little worried about
this. Let's say the natural gas line starts to leak. The drywall
cavity will have gas and air, I go to plug something in, there's a
spark and ... boom.

Do codes allow mixing electrical and gas close together? Any special
installation practices to maximize safety during and after
construction?

Don't worry about it because it's probably a good thing. If the gas
leaks and the spark hits it within the cavity while it's small, then
the explosion will be small. But if there is no spark the gas line
will keep leaking until it hits a spark farther away -- and after it
has leaked more gas -- so the explosion will be much bigger. So it's
probably a good thing to limit the size of the natural gas explosion
in your house.

OTOH, since it hasn't exploded yet, you're probably okay.

.... if you're worried about you gas line, NOW would be a good time to
have it checked. But putting in a wire has nothing to do with it.