Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Adding Electrical Service Near Gas Fireplace?

Why would the gas line leak in the wall?

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"James" wrote in message
ps.com...
I want to hang a plasma flat screen TV over my gas fireplace. I also
want to cut the drywall and add 3 in-wall speakers as well as add a
dual 120V electrical outlet immediately behind the TV.

I'm hesitating about one thing. The drywall cavity behind the
fireplace has the natural gas service line and a valve. When I add the
speakers and the electrical outlet, the electrical service will share
the same in-wall cavity as the gas line. I'm a little worried about
this. Let's say the natural gas line starts to leak. The drywall
cavity will have gas and air, I go to plug something in, there's a
spark and ... boom.

Do codes allow mixing electrical and gas close together? Any special
installation practices to maximize safety during and after
construction?