Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A long musing about wooden tool handles.

You know the Sorby rep told (years ago when they used to travel) at a
Woodcraft demo that most of their tools were made with the idea that
the factory handles would be "knocked off".

Personally, I like most of the handles that came on my tools so I
don't do that. But I have made some hollowing tools, scrapers and ac
couple of others that I really like.

But more importantly, this tightwad may have another reason to look
strongl at unhandled tools. After getting my Packard, Berea and
Turning Supplies catalogues I was surprised at how expensive tools are
now. So many tools are "signature lines" or "designed by the
international superstar" that I was surprised to see that they
probably make 2/3 of the offerings.

I learned an important lesson from my tobacco purveyor about 25 years
ago when I started smoking "good" cigars. Don't buy the tube. I
rarely ever buy anything that is premium branded because someone
endorsed it.

I don't know, and sadly don't care about a tool that Henrijit
Unikkkrit Wosczinyckiiln from Finland heralds as his own design. He
is not here to help me learn how to use it to its potential, and
probably won't be down here to South Texas soon. I certainly don't
want to pay 20% on top of the price for a premium tool unless I get a
great deal better performance, and I don't care whose name it on it.
I am WELL past tool collecting.

All of that rambling leads to this conclusion. A good bang for the
buck seems to be the P&N as well as some others that are out there.
IIRC, the difference between an unhandled P&N and a handled Taylor or
Sorby wasn't that much. Now however, I compated Lee Valley to
Woodturning Supplies and it is certainly worth the trouble to knock
out a custom handle.

Apparently, there are other quality tools coming down the pike that
will be sold unhandled, too. On WoodCentral there is a guy that is
trying to get some traction selling his tools, and they are all
unhandled. That's where his savings lie. No on-hand ash woodstock
for handles, no auto duplicator lathe to turn out the handles, no
finishing room for them, no ferrule costs, no assembly, etc. While
the jury is still out on those tools, the first reports back from the
testors seem good.

So I guess I'll be leaning that way instead of continuing to buy tools
with handles.

I don't care much for the metal handles either. I tried using them,
and they just don't have the feel I am after. I didn't enjoy the
sensation of holding onto a pipe, and it made my craftwork (if that's
what it is) feel a little too industrial. And for smaller tools, it
really didn't feel good at all. I felt like I was working on the
plumbing.

Robert