Dave Baker

Default hacksaw cutting slowly

Subject: hacksaw cutting slowly
From: (Eric Chang)
Date: 10/03/04 16:51 GMT Standard Time
"larry g" wrote in message
Just for grins after reading this thread I grabbed a 1 1/8" piece of square
steel, and hacksawed it through with a hand hacksaw, wimpy frame and a used
18 tpi 10" long blade. Took ~2.5 minutes. I then took the same stock and

Hi Larry. Thanks for the real life data. There have been a lot of good
suggestions. One of the problems is that I am using a 24 tpi blade.

Not ideal but even so I'm surprised it cuts that slowly. 18 tpi is a good all
purpose blade.

The
hacksaw is tightened very well, and the frame is reasonably sturdy. It
is cutting (there are a lot of metal filings), but just too slowly. I tried
cutting a 1/2 inch piece of rebar. It took 10 minutes. This is in line with
the 1 hour per square inch of material cut.

Cutting the heads off a couple of 3/8" bolts the other day took maybe 15
seconds each with an 18 tpi blade. You could double that for a 1/2" bolt. A 24
tpi should be fine for steel although a bit slower than a coarser blade so I
have to conclude your blades are blunt or crappy quality.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.