Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Shop Storage - How Do You Do It?

I picked up a buddy's Like With Like approach
and, when possible, store things near, under or
in where they're used.

Bench has drawers in the base - accessible from
both sides of the bench and a shelf immediately
under the bench top. Layout tools, measuring
tools and the like used at the bench are in
the bench drawers. On the wall behind the
bench is a wall cabinet with other tools used
at the bench in the carcase and doors - one
step away from the bench. The drill press has
a set of drawers under it for bits, hold downs
and the never used "mortising attachment.
The mortising machine sits on a drawer unit
which holds chisels and bits etc. The router
table has drawers for all the crap that you
accumulate/acquire for it - wrenches, throat
plates, manuals, router bit sets and so on,
a wall cabinet for the rest of the router bits.

Poke around here and you'll see the "machine"
side of the shop and where things are stored
- in their context.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...htSideMap.html

Note that the "lathe areas" in the right shop
diagram isn't shown - yet. NO machine in my
shop has near as many "accessories"as a lathe.
Here's my current set up - with most, but not
all of them. For such a small machine it sure
needs a lot of storage space.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...heBench10.html

The Left Side of The Shop has different storage
needs. Poke around this one to see some of those
solutions. Note that I've since added a fireproof
metal cabinet for flammable finishing materials.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...ftSideMap.html

I probably won't ever get to House Furniture, but
have made a lot of Shop Furniture as practice
should I ever need to.

charlie b