Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who wants a Woodcraft?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 02:31:42 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:
: On Mar 31, 9:51???am, "RonB" wrote:
: RonB

: I simply do not understand franchise owners who allow problems to
: develop. The basic nut going into one of these things is on the order
: of a half million bucks, not something most of us can toss in the
: trash because we're too lazy to pay attention to training and too
: goofy to train staff.

The Tucson store has always seemed pretty well run, and very well stocked.

I got a letter, probably the same one Mark did. The letter is
from corporate, and says that the owner is relocating for
personal reasons to Oregon, where he/they have another Woodcraft.
It's not clear anything is wrong with the operation successwise.

I certainly did not intend to imply that in my posting. The one thing I
have noticed is that they don't seem to be very busy most of the time. That
may be a function of the times I choose to go there vs. low volume traffic
in general. Just found it curious that they were soliciting the customer
base for a buyer -- typically highly successful businesses that come up for
sale come up quietly and are snapped up by someone who is properly
networked before anybody else even realizes the opportunity is there.

Really hope that there is nothing wrong with operational success; it
would be a real shame to lose them. The only other local source here in
Tucson (Woodworker's Source) has never impressed me, either in their tool
display and selection, nor in the friendliness of their help. The Phoenix
Woodworker Source seems to run a much tighter and neater operation (at
lease the last time I visited either of those two businesses -- it's been
several years)