Mike Patterson

Default firearms - modern labor saving devices.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 08:06:47 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:12:45 -0500, Mike Patterson
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I have a similar rather large friend, bodybuilder, martial arts
enthusiast, etc. Carries a .44, says a 9mm isn't big enough.

and he since he is going to be an agro arsehole, may as well do it
compltely.

Since you appear to enjoy calling names, I'll reply in kind, dip****.

The friend I descibed is one of the nicest, most reasonable people
you'd ever meet, with the possible exception of your white-coated
attendents who apparenty failed to bring your medication today.

Quoting some beatup-freak as a reason to carry guns sounds like ****
to me....unless it's to protect myself against
beatup-freaks........and hey! the *******s carry guns anyway,
according to you!

I have the feeling that the grooves in your brain are so treadworn
that anything and everything "sounds like ****" to you. What makes you
think my friend is a "beatup-freak"? He's been in martial arts since
he was a small child, he's a volunteer fireman, he coaches a soccer
team for 12 year olds.

I have had two occasions in my life where I though a gun would have
made things quieter. In both cases I simply talked my way out of it.
In neither case did I think afterward of any outcojme from using a gun
that would not have been a messy business in many ways.

So everyone in the universe should be forced to live their lives based
on two of your anecdotal experiences?

I got one for you. One night in downtown Atlanta I was stopped at a
traffic light after work when 2 urban outdoorsmen decided to rob me.
One went down the passenger side of my van trying door handles while
the other came up to my window and reared back with a brick to throw
through the window into my face. I had a .38 revolver with me (I
worked on ATM machines back then) and all I had to do was lift the gun
into view. The one with the brick dropped it and yelled "he gots a
gun!" then ran away. His buddy beat him to the alley.

Note that I never even had to put my finger on the trigger. No dead,
no wounded. A bad case of the shakes afterward, but no blood.

In this case if I had -not- had a gun the outcome would "have been a
messy business in many ways".

My wife & children might disagree that Daddy should be dead or hurt
because it terrifies you that he had the means to defend himself from
predators.

I am convinced that guns cause more trouble than they solve on the
average. I sidearm has only one purpose. To shoot people at close
range, and be easily concealed.

I am convinced that you are both ignorant and offensive.
A sidearm is manufactured for only one purpose, to allow a person to
defend themselves from violent criminals. (Excepting the military of
course.)

Yes it has the potential for misuse, but so does virtually anything
and everything made by the human race. I came close to being seriously
hurt or killed with a brick.

.
I realise that making guns harder to get _will_ still allow certain
bad people to get guns. But it will stop a lot of casual bad people
from getting guns. Many people who have survived physical attacks of
some viciousness would be dead now if the punk had had a gun.

And many more people have survived attacks because -they- had a gun.
The statistics are out there on the web if you look for them. I used
to cite them in such discussions as this, but I finally learned that
most people who take your position aren't interested in the facts on
this subject, only their fears.

If I had a gun, and it was easy to get guns, I know that I would be
slower to use that gun than the other guy (and he _will_ have a gun),
because I do not inately want to hurt him. In fact I would probably
point the gun, get it taken off me by the bad-ass martial arts freak,
and be shot with it.

Quite possibly you are correct, and your recognition of your own
values/qualities is commendable. The question remains, why should -I-
(or my wife, son, or daughter) have to be hurt or killed because -you-
feel that -you- are not able to use a weapon in defense wisely?

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.