Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Shop Storage - How Do You Do It?

Subject

Strictly from memory.

Built a run out 4x8 table with replaceable 4x8x1/4 hard board top.

Since I had access from both sides had 48 drawers of assorted sizes, 24
on each 4x8 vertical face.

Got a deal on 1/2 ply drop offs.

Seems the local Ford plant needed 4x9x1/2 ply so the lumber yard cut
them from 4x10 sheets, then sold me the 1x4x1/2 drop offs.

Built a 4x8 base frame from 2x4x8 PTL covered with 1/2.

Since I had lots of it, all drawer parts were 1/2 ply.

Used 1x2 furring strips along with 1" dowels, and 1/4-20 bolts to form
drawer handles.

Everything was painted, inside and out.

From memory, took at least 5-6 gal of paint.

Used primer followed by enamel.

Never had a chance to put it in service, but it was a heavy beast.

As is typical of most of my construction, built like a brick outhouse.

Guy that bought it, cut it into to get two cabinets, each with 24
drawers almost 24 deep.

Hope he enjoyed it.

Lew