Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building and installing passive solar heating panels

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:55:09 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

....snip
Solar heating isn't free (a friendly nod to JClarke here), but the
energy used /is/. I'm not much of an eco-freak, although it might seem
otherwise - but I'm all for anything that harmlessly and inexpensively
improves the quality of life for everyone.

It's not about "big steps" - it's all about small steps - and it's not
so much about where petroleum comes from as the fact that there's only
a finite supply of the stuff and the that supply is being consumed at
a globally accelerating rate. The geopolitics is a result of the
supply situation - not vice versa.
... more snip

I think that pretty much reflects a practical approach. I fully support
cost-competitive alternate approaches that work. Therein lies the rub with
most alternatives thus far, either 1) they are not cost competitive (or
only will be if no maintenance is required and they last 20 years) or 2)
they don't perform as well as what they are replacing -- either they don't
provide the same quantity or require significant intervention and work on
the part of the user.

Looks like the panels you are putting in place are definitely addressing
problem #2, and most likely pretty close to fixing problem #1.