Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Slow draining toilet

Rick Blaine wrote:
"Brian O" wrote:

The auger doesn't seem to be able to slide around the curves
easily. Would grease on this thing actually help this? What other
alternatives do I have besides taking the toilet loose to clear the clog?

You really don't want to use any kind of auger through the toilet. Aside from
being difficult to get through the trap and other curves, you'll scratch the
finish off the glaze in no time. That looks lousy in the visible parts and slows
down flushing in the hidden parts.

A decent closet auger has a rubber or plastic sheath covering the L-bend
part of the auger guide tube, so it won't scratch the visible parts of
the bowl.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1280067

(I've had my closet auger for so long that the red rubber sheath dried
up and fell off, so it's now wrapped with duck tape, which does the same
job. G)

While I hear you about scratching inside the trap, it's hard for me to
believe that the few scratches you might put there from infrequent uses
of a closet auger would really hinder flushing that much. Some toilets
get away without even glazing the trap all the way through.

Jeff

It's really not that hard to remove the toilet. Get over the ick factor and just
do it. Check the toilet for blockage and the auger out the pipe as required.

Take care when replacing. Do not reuse the old wax ring. Scrape it away and
repace with a new one. Do not overtighten the nuts - you will crack the base.
Recaulk as required.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)