Posted to alt.home.repair
Nexus7 Nexus7 is offline

Default Washing Machine - Does This Sound Right? (Long)

On Mar 31, 11:49 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
But now, at some points in a "normal" cycle the machine's motor stops,
everything is quiet as a mouse, and after about what seems like one
"advance" of the timer knob (about 30 seconds) the motor starts and the
cycle proceeds again.
I never noticed that "stopping" on our old Whirlpool, and this machine
isn't supposed to have any "soak" cycles. I can't think of why it would
be a designed in feature, unless maybe to make sure everything has

Don't know about this model, however dishwashers pause like this,
although I don't know if it is for as long as 30 s. I think it is to
let the water drip down before draining. My washing machine (front-
loader) pauses between steps (such as rinse-spin) or even at times
while filling with water. I think it is because things don't happen
instantaneously. So it allows the water to soak the clothes so it can
figure out how much more to add.

The dishwasher has a mechanical timer, and the WM's is a computer. So
yours could be a combination of having a mechanical timer and
necessary process delays.