Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Installation

Why waste the twenty bucks? Use your Shop-Vac. Like any good
Do-It-Yourselfer.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"deke" wrote in message
:
: You will need to vacuum your inside unit before you open the
K-valves
: and let the r410a in. You don't want any air or moisture in
the lines
: when you release the refrigerant.
:
: No big deal. You can buy a vacuum pump on ebay for $20.
You will
: hook it up thru your manifold and watch it overnight and then
see if
: it holds the vacuum, which indicates whether you have any
leaks.
:
:
:
:
:
: On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:16:37 -0400, "AlanC37"
: wrote:
:
: I will try and do that thing (keep you informed).
: The model I chose is an AirLux 18500 Btu/hr. It uses about
1.25 kW. and
: gives some heat, when the outside air is not much below zero
Celsius. It
: will NOT completely heat my old house but should be pretty
good for Air
: conditioning in summer. My existing baseboard heaters will
continue to
: provide the "heavy lifting" in midwinter when outside
temperatures are
: sometimes as low as -40 deg. (C or F, of course).
: Airlux makes their stuff in China and I bought mine from the
site below.
: I found them through eBay and service and advice has been
excellent so far.
: I only hope the thing actually works as advertised but their
approval rating
: is very high. Here is one way to contact them should you so
wish
: http://www.airlux.ca/index.asp. They make pure air
conditioners as well as
: the heat pump I bought. Other heat pumps range from 9000
Btu/hr to 24
: Btu/hr. My unit cost about C$1000 and a further $200 to get
it from BC to
: Ontario.
: The problem of getting it installed continues. I found
another local
: company who can handle the r410a refrigerant and they looked
at the job and
: quickly came back with an estimate of $1250, which I think is
too much.
: That quote also required that I get a separate quote for
running 3 wires for
: the 230 V from my service entrance to the outside unit. I can
easily do
: that myself. I haven't decided yet but I suspect I will
attempt the job
: myself. My only real concern is that the inside unit is quite
large (4 ft
: long 13 inches deep and about 1 ft high) and is quite heavy
(I'm getting old
: and feeble!). I will also have to drill a 2 inch hole through
the house
: wall which consists, from the inside, of plaster; horsehair
stuff; laths;
: roughly 12 inch square logs chinked with cement mix; laths;
clapboard; soft
: board insulation; more laths and finally aluminum siding.
Might be fun. No
: doubt I can rent a suitable drill somewhere nearby.
: This system comes pre-charged and does NOT need vacuum pumps
and pumps to
: charge the thing with refrigerant unless pipes longer than
those supplied
: are needed. Looks fairly simple.
: Alan C
:
: "Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
: ...
: In article ,
"AlanC37"
: wrote:
: I have bought a modern split Air Conditioner/Heating
: I've been considering a mini-split heat pump to heat/cool
: my home office without the expense of heating/cooling the
: entire house.
:
: I'm curious what make and model you selected. Also the
: approx installation costs. Please do keep us posted and
: the best of luck finding a good installer.
: